Wild Bird Care Centre Fall Birdathon… Ready for Lift-off!
This fall, we invite you to put the “fun” back into fundraising and join the Wild Bird Care Centre’s first ever community Birdathon! With fall migration now at its peak, your support will not only bring you immense personal joy as you bird watch, but it will provide critical funding to care for injured, orphaned and ill wild birds at the Wild Bird Care Centre throughout the cold winter months ahead.
How can YOU Participate?
The Birdathon has something for everyone…we encourage you to get outside, enjoy nature, wild birds and fall migration season. Select a day anytime between September 24th and October 16th to bird watch on a local trail, favourite park or even in your very own backyard... and then select between the following two user-friendly options:
- Set your birding & fundraising goals.
- Sign up to fundraise through the fundraising option.
- Invite your friends and family to join you in helping birds by making a donation through your personal fundraising page.
- Simply set your own bird watching goals, and make a donation!
OR, make a contribution through one of our awesome fundraisers' pages: Our Fundraisers
Why should YOU help now?
No matter how you choose to participate/donate, your life-saving dollars are vital to help more birds, like this juvenile Peregrine Falcon, get a second chance at life. Arriving at the WBCC with an injured wing and suffering from vehicle impact-related trauma, this Peregrine Falcon, is lucky to be alive. For more than 60 days in specialized care, this young, precious bird slowly started to recover. In fact, this beautiful bird will be released back to its home territory on September 24th, the day of our official Birdathon launch, and we invite you to celebrate with us by going birding and making a donation.
Every individual bird has a place in its native habitat and plays a vital role in the very ecosystems in which we all depend. Set free, this bird can resume his place in the environment, find a mate and raise the next generation of Peregrine Falcons. By saving one life today, you can save countless others tomorrow!
How YOU can make your Birdathon experience even more fun:
Bird watching is a fun activity for everyone of any age and experience, and can be done at home, on trails, in parks, along shorelines, in both rural and city locations… pretty much anywhere. This time of year, you may be able to spot many more species, including those migrating from their breeding grounds up north.
- Unfamiliar with bird identification? The Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a great App for that: the Merlin Bird ID, available for download: https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org
- Challenge yourself and your friends to see how many unique species you can spot in a 24-hour period
- You can also help collect valuable data by uploading your sightings to eBird Canada: https://ebird.org/canada/home
Your Birdathon donations will be used to provide:
|Life-saving treatment administered by highly skilled and trained personnel|
|A safe, stress-free, enriched environment where birds can recover more easily|
|A species-specific, nutrient rich diet optimized for each bird to regain its strength|